While reading Looking For Alaska by John Green, I have noticed how the main character, Miles, is trying new things now that he is in a new school. He has remembered what his parents had told him not to do, but he seems to be curious to know how these experiences feel like.
When Miles first showed up to his new school, he met his roommate Chip. It turns out Chip liked to smoke. Miles wasn't a smoker and didn't quite feel good having smoke fill up the room. But then Chip needed more cigarettes. They went to see Alaska Young. Once they were in Alaska's room, they each paid five dollars for a pack of cigarettes. Miles didn't know why he paid since he didn't smoke.
But later on, Miles gets used to the smoke and actually ends up smoking some cigarettes as well. At first you think he's doing it to get closer to Alaska. But then it turns out that he'll smoke even if Alaska isn't around them. You notice that he'll smoke so many cigarettes with Chip, and he pays Chip to get more. Chip mostly smokes them but Miles gets one once in a while.
One thing Miles doesn't do is drink alcohol. Miles caught Chip drinking. In order for Chip to drink without being caught, he had to mix it with milk. It tasted bitter but it allowed him to drink it anyways. He offered some to Miles but he turned down the offer.
Miles goes through all these experiences from being at a new school. He hangs out with Chip, Alaska, and Takumi. It's usually cool when they smoke, they go into the woods and smoke there so they won't get caught. Miles experiences smoking for the first time but he has said no to drinking.
I think that you're right, this is a book all for Miles to have new experiences, though when I read I thought it was about how Alaska herself changed his life. But really, he had many influences. I remember when I was reading, realizing how eager he was to get away from the life where he "two very dull people show up to his party".
ReplyDeleteI wrote my reading response on the same book!1!!1! I only read the first 14 pages though. It sounds like this book has the social issues of a teenager.You included important events in the characters life which is important.
ReplyDelete:)
Delete