While reading The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien, one quote has seemed to catch my eye. One point in the book the author says, "But the thing about remembering is that you don't forget. You take your material where you find it, which is in your life, at the intersection of past and present."(33). This quote made me think. It made me try to remember a few things from my past.
While thinking about that quote, I tried to remember a few things from my past. The author kept explaining all these memories from when he was in the war. Those are about 20 years old, but he remembers them and therefore writes about them. When thinking about my past, I don't remember much but then again, I don't really try to remember.
The author doesn't have a lot of good memories. He remembers all the scary stuff that happened in the war. One of those memories is the death of one his friends, Ted Lavender. He remembers the pain that Lieutenant Jimmy Cross went through because of Ted Lavender's death. He remembers Jimmy blaming himself for loving Martha too much even though Martha would not love him back.
One of the things that came to mind with this quote is that sometimes you should remember some memories. Some memories are really important that you just can't say you'll forget about them. Others, well I guess it'll be okay to forget a few. When it comes to memories, you kind of have to think about what decisions to make. Whether you forget or remember forever.
That quote has got me thinking. It has made me try to start remembering more memories that I think I've forgotten. Some memories that I've remembered for a long time are not the right ones. I remember all the not-so-good memories instead of the glory ones. I need to start thinking of the glory ones. I need to remember the important things in life.
Wednesday, November 14, 2012
The Things They Carried
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment